Newborn babies often have dry skin. Is this condition dangerous? What needs to be done? Let’s find out with Bach Hoa XANH!
Why do babies have dry skin?
When in the womb, the baby’s skin is protected by a special substance. By the time of birth, this protective substance is no longer present, the baby’s skin is easily dry and flaky when exposed to air, water, temperature, clothing, cotton towels, etc. It will go away on its own without any treatment. However, to reduce pain and discomfort, mothers should use more body milk or vegetable oils to increase moisture for baby’s skin.
What to do when baby has dry skin?
– Give your baby enough fluids. Newborn babies only drink milk, so it is very important to get enough. Breastfeeding helps your baby provide the necessary fluids and moisturizes the skin from the inside.
– Keep the air in the room sufficiently humid. If using air conditioning, should leave the window slightly ajar to ensure the air in the room is well ventilated.
– Always wear gloves, baby socks on cold days, protect the delicate skin of the baby.
– Choose to use fabric softener and baby laundry detergent. These products soften fabrics, scents and mild detergents, low in chemical ingredients, safe for baby’s skin.
– Give your baby a bath or shower gel of natural origin, increase moisture, less irritation, do not dry the skin or clog pores. Note that you should test it on an area of skin before using it all over the body, check if your baby is allergic to the product being used. If yes, stop immediately and take your baby to see a doctor!
What vegetable oils should be used for babies?
If your baby’s skin is healthy, you can use coconut oil, olive oil, or almond oil. Not only providing moisture to the skin, the oil also soothes irritated skin, preventing infection.
If your baby’s skin is too dry and sensitive, your best bet is sunflower seed oil, grapeseed oil, safflower seed oil or oatmeal. You can also consider using honey, raw milk, and moisturizing cream products that contain oatmeal or rice germ essence.
Things you shouldn’t
– Do not bathe your baby too much or for too long, which will strip the skin’s natural oils. Mothers only need to bathe their newborn baby 2-3 times a week, 10-15 minutes each time is enough.
Do not bathe your baby with very hot water, which will strip the skin’s natural moisture. The most suitable temperature for bathing your baby is 32°C. For babies with sensitive skin, mothers should use boiled water that has been cooled down mixed with boiling water to limit the chlorine component (found in tap water) causing the baby’s skin to dry out.
– Do not use a heater when bathing your baby, because the temperature is too high, it can make the baby’s skin even more dry.
Although dry skin in babies can go away on its own, mothers should also use additional support products to make the baby feel more comfortable and comfortable. Happy mom and baby!
GREEN Department Store